Wednesday, September 24, 2008

teachers are people too

One of my mentors, another high school chem teacher, emphasized the need to focus on at least one good thing that happened during the school day.

Today, I had no trouble figuring it out :)

As I sat in the sky lit atrium at 5:45pm a student pulled up a chair next to me. For the following ~25 minutes we spoke about my class, her college aspirations, her boyfriend, her high school experience and a little bit about me. What struck me most was the ease at which she approached me and the honesty in our conversation. I walked away feeling so fulfilled that I got to know one of my students better.

Being a first year teacher, I feel the need to be validated every once in a while; I'm only human. I mean, I have no idea what the heck I'm doing half the time or if my students are actually absorbing anything. But, today when this student gave me a genuine compliment about enjoying my class I was on top of the world.

1 comment:

MIKI SAN said...

"teachers are people too" and God's love is expressed through good works ... remember to follow the simple rule: "Do all the good you can, by all the means you can, in all the ways you can, in all the places you can, at all times you can, to all the people you can, as long as ever you can.

GOD BLESS,

Auntie Nida